Table of Contents
- 1 WHAT ARE THE 10 OF THE MOST UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS?
- 2 WHAT ARE THE BEST SRI LANKA PRIVATE TOUR TO VISIT THESE PLACES?
- 3 10 SRI LANKA PRIVATE TOURS TO VISIT ABOVE MENTIONED UNDERRATED SRI LANAK TOURIST PLACES
- 4 1. ELLA: SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS FOR BREATHTAKING SCENERY
- 5 2. UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS: RAMBODA
- 6 3. UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS: TISSAMAHARAMA
- 7 4. UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS: BELIHULOYA
- 8 5. VISITING SINHARAJA RAIN FOREST ON SRI LANAK PRIVATE TOUR
- 9 6. ADDING AUKANA BUDDHA STATUE TO THE SRI LANAK PRIVATE TOUR
- 10 7. MIHINTALE
- 11 8. MIRISSA BEACH
- 12 9. COLOMBO
- 13 10. UDAWATTEKELE, KANDY
The pristine beaches of Sri Lanka are fabulous and make for great vacations. Not only the beaches but also you can combine a few below mentioned underrated Sri Lanka destinations in your Sri Lanka private tour and make it an irresistible combination.
WHAT ARE THE 10 OF THE MOST UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS?
- ELLA: SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS FOR BREATHTAKING SCENERY
- RAMBODA: ISOLATED YERT PICTURESQUE
- SINHARAJA RAIN FOREST
- AUKANA BUDDHA STATUE
- MIRISSA BEACH
- UDAWATTEKELE, KANDY
WHAT ARE THE BEST SRI LANKA PRIVATE TOUR TO VISIT THESE PLACES?
There is a large number of Sri Lanka private tour packages to visit all these places. However, it might be difficult to find one Sri Lanka private tour packages tour. Because of some of the places mentioned above may not fulfil the basic requirements to host travellers. There is a large number of tour package that brings you to these places and here is a list of Sri Lanka private tours that enables you to scratch the underrated tourist places in Sri Lanka.
10 SRI LANKA PRIVATE TOURS TO VISIT ABOVE MENTIONED UNDERRATED SRI LANAK TOURIST PLACES
- Simply Sri Lanka 8 Days Private Tour with Luxury Accommodation
- 4-Day Essence of Sri Lankan Culture-Private
- Sri Lanka Classic Luxury-7 Days Private Tour
- Sri Lanka Grand-10 Days-Private Tour
- Best of Sri Lanka-10 days private tour
1. ELLA: SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS FOR BREATHTAKING SCENERY
While often overlooked in favour of fellow mountain resorts like Nuwara Elia and Haputale, Ella maintains a particular charming surrounding that is that’s hardly the second rate. Ella has a picture-perfect surrounding with cascading waterfalls, green-capped mountains, streams, lakes, parks, cascading waterfalls and pristine patches of forests.
Ella is located at a drive of 2.5 hours from Nuwara Eliya. A large number of travellers heading to southern Sri Lanka from Nuwara Eliya cut through Ella but they overlook the natural beauty of this charming little town. Some of the best CEYLON tea cultivated here. Covered with eucalyptus forests and pine trees, this mountain resort does not seem to be a part of this world.
MOST POPULAR PRIVATE TRIP TO VISIT ELLA
- Simply Sri Lanka 8 Days Private Tour with Luxury Accommodation-If you are in search of a Sri Lanka private trip to visit Ella, this 8 days trip is a good option for you. The tour, not only includes Ella and other mountain resorts bu also tourist places in the cultural triangle, southern Sri Lanka as well as west coast beaches.
2. UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS: RAMBODA
I highly doubt if you have heard of Ramboda, despite its location on the Kandy-Nuwara Eliya main highway. Ramboda plateau is just 56 km from Kandy. The most striking features of Ramboda plateau is its valley covered with Tea bushes and Ramboda waterfall.
Opposite to popular mountain resort of Nuwara Eliya and Kandy, Ramboda is a little sleepy town. However, it is not a lack of natural beauty. This beautiful countryside is often overlooked in favour of Kandy and Nuwara Eliya, which are more popular among travellers.
It is really a pity, that most travellers drive all the to Nuwara Eliya once they start the trip in Kandy, which is 2 hours’ drive. Most of them not bothering to explore this beautiful uncrowded place.
Ramboda plateau is very beautiful and large part of is still under natural forest cover, and it hosts several freshwater streams, brooks, forests, tea gardens, lush green mountains, few waterfalls, and a river. Here, you see the Ramboda falls pouring water onto the large boulders resting at the lower areas of the plateau, this milky-white waters flowing over the roads and splashing against the rocks, before commingling with the Mahaweli river.
WHAT IS THE BEST SRI ALNKA TRIP TO VISIT RAMBODA FALLS
- 3 Days Tour to Kandy Nuwara Eliya & Sigiriya-Ultimate Sri Lanak trip to explore Sri Lanka’s upcountry tourist attractions. You will be escorted to Ramboda waterfalls and there is a visit to the nearby Tea factory in Ramboda.
3. UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS: TISSAMAHARAMA
In the extreme south of Sri Lanka, Tissamaharama of the southern province of Sri Lanka is an epitome of beauty, serenity, and wilderness. After reaching Hambantota of Sri Lanka southern expressway, travellers need to take the regular road and drive further south from Hambantota.
The distance from Hambantota to Tissamaharama is 28km and the drive takes around 30 minutes. During the 3 hours journey from Colombo, the travellers rush through rice paddies, Rivers, Rubber plantations, coconut plantations and patches of forests. The entire drive commands a spellbinding scenery on the countryside.
The charming village has a huge lake, which is the lifeblood of the entire region. Tissamaharama has huge paddies fields and farming is the main industry here.
Beloved for its rich historical past, romantic architecture, and ethereal, Gigantic rain trees, Charming village is fast developing as a holiday destination. Tissamaharama is a bunkering spot for a large number of foreign travellers, who are heading to Yala safari.
The deep blue water of Tissamaharama lake hosts a wide range of species including 3 meters long crocodiles. However, it has a large stock of fish and the lake is the source of food for many families in the area.
The deep blue waters of Tissamaharama lake, with light-green coloured rice paddies in the backdrop, and greenery with gigantic raintree in the foreground offer such a view throughout the year, that one is left amused for the rest of his life.
BEST SRI LANKA PRIVATE PROGRAM TO VISIT TISSAMAHARAMA
- Sri Lanka Tour With Yala Safari And Galle-If you book a safari to Yala national park, you are well on your way to explore this isolated picturesque countryside. Tissamaharma is the gateway to Yala national park and most jeep tours start to Yala starts in Tissamaharama. This two days Sri Lanka private trip includes an overnight stay in Tissamharama.
4. UNDERRATED SRI LANKA DESTINATIONS: BELIHULOYA
Belihuloya is a sleepy town on the Colombo-Badulla a main high way. It is largely isolated and the population does not exceed 5000 people. It is located within the boundary of the Sabaragamuwa province, which has many thousands of forests, farmlands, mountain peaks, valleys, waterfalls and many other beautiful geographical features.
It is isolated, calm and serene. Belihuloya is hardly disturbed by economic development. The mountain resorts spread between 500 M to 1500 M above sea level. 90 per cent of Belihuloya is hidden under the tropical green canopy. The patches of forests, farmlands, tea plantations, rubber plantations are constantly fed by the perineal waterways that rushing through the mountain valleys.
Belihuloya has a mild climate and had totally different contrast compared to beaches. Belihuloya hosts a wide range of beautiful flowers of all hues and colours. Gigantic trees such as raintree, which produces small yellow flowers as well as shrubs and flowering plants such as angel’s trumpets flowers are spreading all over this mountain rich region.
5. VISITING SINHARAJA RAIN FOREST ON SRI LANAK PRIVATE TOUR
Located on the western province of Sri Lanka and Sinharaja rain forest nestled at foothills of the central mountain range. The forest reserve keeps a healthy distance from the traffic-clogged streets of busy towns, Sinharaja rain forest on other words a breath of fresh air.
Known for its pristine forest cover and a large stock of Fauna and Flora, Sinharaja rain forest considered as one of the top 10 biodiversity hotspots in the world, Sinharaja rain forest is a much-needed escape-to-nature.
WHAT IS THE BEST TRIP TO VISIT SINHARAJA RAIN FOREST
- Sinharaja Rainforest Private Tour (All-inclusive)– this is a one day trip in a private vehicle with an experienced nature guide. The tour starts in Colombo and ends in Colombo. However, the tour can be started from beach hotels as well.
6. ADDING AUKANA BUDDHA STATUE TO THE SRI LANAK PRIVATE TOUR
Aukana Buddha statue rests deep in the jungle of Anuradhapura overlooking one of the largest man-made tanks of Sri Lanka, the ancient Buddha statues date back to 5th century AD. It showcases the great craftmanship of ancient sculptures. The stone statue is 14 feet in height and granite stone is hewn and shaped completely by hand.
The Buddha statue is placed in such a way that it is starting on the water surface of the Kalawewam or lake of Kala, which is one of the greatest irrigations works in ancient Sri Lanka.
The Buddha figure was hidden in the deep jungle for many thousands of years until it was discovered in early 18s by the archaeologists. Aunkana is off the beaten track tourist attraction and one of the most underrated Sri Lanka destination, where you encounter only a handful of travellers.
Nestled in the north-central province of Sri Lanka, 216 km from Colombo, the ancient ruins of Sinhalese civilization rest in isolation for more than 2000 years. Mihintale was the cradle of Buddhism in Sri Lankan and was the home of the ancient civilization of Sri Lanka.
The remote laid back village is covered with hundreds of Buddhist monuments such as Buddha statues, dagobas, Ayurveda hospitals and many other shrines. However, Mihintale is one of the most underrated Sri Lanka destinations and therefore not popular among travellers like most other ancient places on the island.
Mihintale is also located within the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka and it is just 18 km from Anuradhapura. Mihintale is mainly a Buddhist religious site and easy to reach, and it is well worth to visit this ancient site. Ruins of Mihintale is largely untouched, it’s rare to see this much of old ruins in isolation and in such good shape.
So, if you head on to Anuradhapura, don’t forget to extend your journey a little bit more and enjoy some of the oldest monuments on the island.
8. MIRISSA BEACH
With many dozens of kilometres of pristine beaches, Mirissa is one of the most underrated Sri Lanka destinations for beach holidays. The snow-white sandy beaches are very wide and largely underexplored. Mirissa beach is one of the most blissed-out beach vacation spots on the island. However, the beaches attract very few tourists every year and I doubt if you thought of going there.
The sunny, warm beaches with year-round torque water are perfect for beach lovers, especially from November to April. During this period the waters of the Indian ocean is very calm and quiet and the water clarity is 99%, means you are well on your target to spot a fascinating underwater world of Indian Ocean.
Besides making your skin a nice tan colour, there are plenty of other things to do here, check on interesting ancient Buddhist temples, forts, mangrove forests, fascinating countryside and national parks or feast your taste buds on delicious seafood.
MOST POPULAR SRI LANKA TRIP TO VISIT MIRISSA
- Whale Watching Mirissa with 100% Guaranteed Whale Sighting-Mirissa is one of the best places for beach holidays, however, it does not attract as many travellers as other popular places like Bentota and Hikkaduwa. Mirissa is known to some travellers not as beach holiday destination but as a destination to spot whales, dolphins and sea turtles.
The number of visitors to the most populous city of Sri Lanka has been on an upward trend over the last decades starting from 2009. 2009 was a turning point for the island, which marked the ending of devastating civil war. Since then the city was freed from the malicious forces and Colombo became a safe city to explore.
All the travellers, who used to evade Colombo started to flock into the fascinating city to explore its rich historical and natural attractions. The number of visitors increased by 100% over the last decade and there is no sign of slowing down.
With ancient temples, parks, medieval period buildings with colonial heritage as well as modern sky scrappers that penetrate most parts of Colombo appeal to most travellers. Food scene and shopping also plays a big role in Colombo.
2 SRI LANKA PRIVATE TOURS THAT ENABLES YOU TO VISIT COLOMBO
- Colombo City Tour Private– this is a one day trip starting from the beach resorts on the western and southern Sri Lanka as well as from the airport. This is a perfect private Sri Lanka trip to explore the busiest town of Sri Lanka.
- Best of Sri Lanka-10 days private tour– One of the very popular Sri Lanka tour packages, that allows you to explore the most number of popular tourist attractions of Sri Lanka, including Colombo. The tour kicks off with Colombo city tour. The starting point and the point where you end the tour is highly flexible.
10. UDAWATTEKELE, KANDY
Kandy, nestled in the central hills of Sri Lanka at an elevation of 500 meters above sea level. Kandy is not definitely coming in the list of underrated Sri Lanka destinations and Kandy might be overly exposed to the outside world but the next-door Udawattekele sanctuary has a unique charisma and slightly less of the hype.
2 SRI LANKA PRIVATE TOUR TO VISIT UDAWATTEKELE SANCTUARY
- Sri Lanka Kandy Trip With Scenic Upcountry Train Journey-2 Days– The tour starts from Kandy and includes many visit important places in Kandy. The upcountry train journey is a main feature of the trip.
- 3 Days Tour to Kandy Nuwara Eliya & Sigiriya– This is a private tour os Sri Lanka that includes important tourist attraction in Cultural triangle as well as Kandy and Nuwara Eliya. The tour includes 1 overnight stay in Kandy, during which you are able to explore Udawattekele sanctuary.