Table of Contents
- 1 Are 5 days enough in Sri Lanka?
- 2 What are the 11 things do in a Sri Lanka 5 days tour?
- 3 Sri Lanka 5 days tour: What can we see?
- 4 22 Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days
- 5 3 popular Sri Lanka travel itinerary for 5 days
- 6 What is the best mode of travel on my 5 days trip?
- 7 How effective public transport for the Sri Lank trip?
- 8 Can I use TUK TUK for my 5 days tour?
- 9 How much does it cost for Sri Lanka 5 days trip?
- 10 Sri Lanka 5 days cultural tour
- 11 Sri Lanka 5 days tour: nature cocktail
- 12 Sri Lanka 5 days tour: Adventure trip
- 13 Sri Lanka trips are categorized broadly under Nature, Culture or Adventure
- 14 Do I have time to relax on the Sri Lanka 5 days tour?
- 15 Sri Lanka travel itinerary 5 days what you need to know
- 16 Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
- 17 Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days in a nutshell
- 18 Culture cocktail tour and places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days
- 19 Map of culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
- 19.1 Day 1 of culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Colombo/Sigiriya
- 19.2 Is it worth visiting Colombo?
- 19.3 Pinnawala elephant orphanage
- 19.4 Dambulla cave temple
- 19.5 Day 2 of culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Sigiriya/Polonnaruwa
- 19.6 Day 3 of Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Sigiriya, Kandy
- 19.7 Day 4 of Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Kandy, Nuwara Eliya
- 19.8 Day 5 of culture cocktail tour 5 days -Nuwara Eliya / Colombo
- 20 Nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days in a nutshell
- 21 11 Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days nature tour
- 22 Map of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
- 22.1 Day 1 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days -Colombo, Sinharaja, Galle
- 22.2 Madu river estuary
- 22.3 Sea turtle conservation project- one of the best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days
- 22.4 Sinharaja Forest
- 22.5 Galle Fort
- 22.6 Day 2 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days–Mirissa, Yala
- 22.7 Day 3 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Mirissa, Yala
- 22.8 Day 4 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Nuwara Eliya, Kitulgala
- 22.9 Day 5 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days -Kitulgala, Colombo
- 23 Adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days in a nutshell
- 24 Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days on the adventure tour
- 25 Map of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days
- 25.1 Day 1 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Colombo, Kitulgala
- 25.2 Day 2 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Kitulgala, Adam’s peak
- 25.3 Day 3 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days- Adams peak, Udawalawe national park
- 25.4 Day 4 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Udawalawe national park, Mirissa
- 25.5 Day 5 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Mirissa, Colombo
If you are looking for a couple of places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days, believe me, it will be a daunting task to make the selection, especially if you are travelling with someone else with a different choice. However, we have crafted this blogpost with 22 places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days and few Sri Lanka 5 days tour itineraries. The main selection tool in choosing the places was the reviews of our past customers. The island is a beautiful country and there are hundreds of places to visit within 5 days in Sri Lanka. Wildlife reserves, crumbling historical monuments, temples, parks, bustling cities, mouth-watering dishes, spellbinding scenery, tropical fruits… the list goes on.
Are 5 days enough in Sri Lanka?
“What is the best Sri Lanka 5 day tour?“,”what are the places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days?“, “what are the best 5 days Sri Lanka itinerary?” are a few questions we get often via emails. If you also wondering if 5 days enough in Sri Lanka, my answer is NO…NO because there are so many places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days, you will be able to barely scratch either the northern or southern Sri Lanka and you will not see much of the island in a Sri Lanka 5 day tour.
If you are looking for a couple of places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days, believe me, it will be a daunting task to make the selection, especially if you are travelling with someone else with a different choice. Sri Lanka is a beautiful country and it offers a lot to its visitors.
What are the 11 things do in a Sri Lanka 5 days tour?
- Sri Lanka jungle tours/ Visiting wildlife reserves
- Visiting Crumbling historical monuments
- Visiting Temples, parks
- City tours and Shopping
- Sampling Mouth-watering Sri Lanka cuisines
- Enjoying Spellbinding scenery
- Exploring tropical forests
- Trekking through the Mountains
- Visiting waterfalls
- Swimming in Rivers, Lakes
- Visiting palm-fringed beaches…the list goes on and on
Sri Lanka 5 days tour: What can we see?
You might be wonder, how to do all those things in 5 days in Sri Lanka. Visiting all these places in a Sri Lanka 5 day tour! NO WAY! After all, you need to have some leisure during the trip too; otherwise, it will not be a holiday. Therefore you have to choose a few places to see on your 5 days Sri Lanka tour. So, now you are in a dilemma when it comes to choosing places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days, that’s why I thought of writing this blog post.
So you have to make a choice with regards to the places that you visit on your Sri Lanka 5 days tour, that’s difficult. Many travellers contact us at this stage and ask for our help to choose places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days, sometimes they want us to plan a 5 days Sri Lanka itinerary, with best places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days. We do not turn them down and make a good Sri Lanka trip package for them, it is free, most importantly we do not expect them to book the trip with us.
22 Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days
- Colombo-The Commerical capital of Sri Lanka, the most populated city and offers shopping experience, historical places, parks, beaches, and vibrant nightlife.
- Elephant orphanage Pinnawala-one of the very popular day outing places in Sri Lanka in 5 days, which attracts a large number of travellers every day. Pinnawal elephant orphanage is a place to see the largest herd of tamed elephants in the world, located near Kandy,
- Sigiriya rock fortress-the iconic tourist attraction is one of the best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days. Sigiriya rock fortress is the most popular historical site and UNESCO world heritage site with landscaped gardens, ruined palace, pools, paintings, fountains and moats and walls, dates back to 5th century AD.
- Dambulla golden cave temple-UNESCO world heritage site, one of the oldest temples on earth, dates back to 1st century BC. The place to see 150 Buddha statues and a large number of religious paintings.
- Minneriyan national park-Wildlife reserve in the north-central province of Sri Lanka to do a jeep safari and spot large gathering of wild elephants.
- Tooth relic temple-Most sacred Buddhists temple, which is also a UNESCO world heritage site. Tooth relic temple is the not popular tourist place in Kandy.
- Royal botanical garden Kandy-The biggest Botanical garden in Sri Lanka featuring more than 8000 of trees and plants located near Kandy on the bank of Mahaweli river.
- Kandyan cultural show-The evening show takes place in the city of Kandy and features traditional Sri Lanka dancing and musical performances.
- Tea garden-You will encounter a tea garden in the tea country better known as Sri Lanka mountains. Healing climate, rolling hills, cascading waterfalls, breathtaking scenery and tea plantations are the main features here.
- Tea factory – See the entire process of tea manufacturing
- Seeth Temple-Closely connected to Ramayana, this is the temple believed to be the place, where Seetha lived as she was under the captivity of Ravana.
- Gregory Lake-Located 1800 meters above sea level in the city of Nuwara Eliya. Activities available here are boating, walking, trekking, pony riding…
- Sinharaja rainforest-one of the oldest patches of forests. A place to live with nature.
- Madu river estuary-Explore the mangrove forest which is diminishing fast along with hundreds of avian Fauna species.
- Moonstone mines-Semi precious stones found only in Sri Lanka, which believed to have health benefits. You have the opportunity to see a traditional gem mine
- Sea turtle conservation project-These are privately managed turtle conservation projects, you can see the animals belong to 5 species endangered sea turtles.
- Galle fortress-medieval time city built by Dutch featuring hundreds of structures with old Dutch architecture.
- Whale watching Mirissa-One of the best opportunities to spot blue whales and sperm whales.
- Yala wildlife reserve-Leopard spot is the best activity and most memorable for travellers, who set off on a jeep safari at Yala. elephant, crocodile, bear, jackal and many other animals are on the list too.
- Kitulgala -better known as the adventure playground of Sri Lanka offers a wide range of adrenaline-pumping activities like whitewater rafting, kayaking, rainforest trekking, mountain climbing, waterfall abseiling…
- Adam’s peak-nicknamed as the temple in the sky is located well over 2300 meter above sea-level. It attracts thousands of pilgrims every day during the pilgrimage season from Nov-April. To Non-Buddhist this is a place to have a light adventure and opportunity to breathtaking scenery.
- Udawalawe national park-Another popular national park for Sri Lanka wildlife tours, to see a large gathering of wild elephants.
3 popular Sri Lanka travel itinerary for 5 days
In this blog post, we discuss mainly 3 Sri Lanka 5 days trip packages. These 3 trips are very popular among the travellers of Sri Lanka, especially they are very popular among foreign travellers. The tour itineraries are carefully crafted to cover 3 major areas and serve as a leisure tour package, a nature tour package of adventure trip.
- Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
- Nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
- Adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days
According to my experience, 5 days is not enough to explore the island, even with a two weeks tour you can just scratch a part of the island (either south or north). I have worked for many leading tour operators in the world such as TUI, Neckerman, Firs choice, ITS, Thomson in the capacity of the interpreter and most of them offer 5 days tour in many forms.
What is the best mode of travel on my 5 days trip?
If you are wondering, what the best mode of travelling during your Sri Lanka 5 days trip? Private taxi with a local driver is the best bet for you. This principle can be applied to local as well as foreign tarvellers. Travelling by taxi is safe, and most importantly it saves you valuable time. Hiring a private vehicle allows you to explore the island at your own pace and gives you maximum privacy. The cost of a taxi is a bit expensive compared to public transport but on the other hand, it is cheaper than air transport. Travelling by taxi is the most sought after travel option among the travellers in Sri Lanka.
On a 5 days trip mentioned in this blog post, we expect that you stick to a private taxi and thereby move swiftly between cities. Saving time on this 5 days trip is very important for the success of the tour. You have to travel over 1000 km during the trips while visiting many dozens of important tourist places during the trip. Another benefit of using a private vehicle is the ability to reach tourist places at every nook.
How effective public transport for the Sri Lank trip?
If you use public transport, you are required to use shuttle buses or any other transport mode to reach most tourist places as public buses ply on the main roads. You have to face the same scenario if you plan to use domestic air transport as the airports are located only in major cities.
Every Sri Lanka trip package that we discuss in this article includes many hours of travelling and you will travel at least 1000 km in every trip package. Travelling in Sri Lanka can be a daunting task and it could uncomfortable and drain your valuable time if you do not stick to the best transport mode.
Can I use TUK TUK for my 5 days tour?
With regards to some travelling options, it can be a bit of unsafe Eg. Travelling by TUK TUK on long-distance trips can be uncomfortable and involve with lack of safety. TUK TUK is a very small vehicle, which has 3 small wheels while the passengers inside are covered with a leather sheet. Despite there is an iron frame in the passenger compartments, still it considered being unsafe as it is made of small iron pipes.
How much does it cost for Sri Lanka 5 days trip?
The cost of the trip depends on various factors such as the hotel category and the number of persons in the group. If the number of person in your group increases it can considerably lower the per person rate. E.g the cost for a single person tour is about 50% higher than the cost per person based on 2 persons. The accommodation is also a reason for the soaring price of your trip.
The cost of the trip increases dramatically as you go for a higher category of hotels such as 4-star and 5-star. However, the cost of the 5 days Sri Lanka trip with a comfortable accommodation cost around US$ 500 per person. If you need to find exact rate for a Sri Lanka 5 days trip please write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sri Lanka 5 days cultural tour
Big players in the tourism industry like ITS offer “Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days”, which include many interesting places to see in Sri Lanka. This 5 days tour primarily cover historical and cultural sites such as Sigiriya, Dambulla, Polonnaruwa and Tooth relic temple. Three days of the 5 days tour is dedicated to exploring important cultural sites on the island.
Sri Lanka 5 days tour: nature cocktail
Some tour operators offer “Nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days“, which also includes many places to see in Sri Lanka, however, most of them are natural attractions such as wildlife reserves and rain forests. This 5 days tour touch unspoilt and little-visited places to tourist attractions which are pouring with travellers such as Yala national park. The tour covers about 900km of road from the beginning to the end and hence you will be travelling more than 100km almost every day. The tour revolves mainly around southern Sri Lanka, which is one of teh greenest parts of the island.
Sri Lanka 5 days tour: Adventure trip
5 days Sri Lanka adventure tour also cover many interesting places to see in Sri Lanka, however, they are featuring activities such as trekking, hiking, water rafting etc.
I have mentioned only few 5 day Sri Lanka tours above and there are so many other variations of 5 day tours that can be booked on the island. I would like to discuss mainly on those 3 Sri Lanka 5 day tours that I mentioned above. I feel it is going to serve the mass because it helps you to choose the 5 days Sri Lanka itinerary that suit you best, broadly under 3 categories Nature tour, adventure tour or a cultural tour, make sense, Right!.
Sri Lanka trips are categorized broadly under Nature, Culture or Adventure
99 per cent Sri Lanka tour itineraries are coming under those 3 categories or combination of it. Hereunder we discuss three 5 days Sri Lanka itinerary and all of them can be twisted to meet your exact requirement. For instance, if it is the cultural tour you can add a little bit of beach stay and adventure to it, if it is a nature tour you can add a bit of adventure to it, likewise you can add a little bit of culture to your 5 days Sri Lanka trip that revolves around nature.
Do I have time to relax on the Sri Lanka 5 days tour?
If you are in the mood to have a relaxing, leisurely holiday then you should be heading to the beach. Very recently I sent a tour itinerary to a traveller in the UK, which was predominantly a cultural tour; however, I have includes few adventure activities as well as jeep safari in a national as optional activities.
It was a 7 days Sri Lanka tour itinerary with 1 overnight stay on the beach. I feel it was a well-balanced tour program because he was interested in culture. But the customer turned back asking changes to his tour itinerary. The client wanted to make further changes to the tour itinerary and wanted to add more time for leisure, more beach time. After a few more changes, the tour itinerary converted to a beach holiday package with 3 one day tours.
If you are also a kind of travellers that cherish leisure and need time to relax on your 5 day trip to Sri Lanka you better book a 5 days Sri Lanka beach holiday and organize few day tours to important tourist attractions with your resort guide. If you are in a position to add a few more days to your plan you can make a 5 days Sri Lanka tour and beach stay separately. Usually, most travellers that come to Sri Lanka spend 10 to 14 days on the island, the first half of the trip they make a tour while towards the end of the trip they spend time on the beach while relaxing.
Sri Lanka travel itinerary 5 days what you need to know
Now it is the time to jump into my main point, hereafter I discuss on Sri Lanka 5 day trips that I mentioned above. All these tour packages are planned with important places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days.
Each tour itinerary covers many places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days. There are many Sri Lanka 5 day trips with beach stay but in this article “places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days”, I’m not going to make a lengthy discussion on the beach holidays. You read about many places that are coming under “places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days”, in this article I’m not going to give a lengthy description of these places. Because, I have already written separate articles (dedicated to each site) on all them, giving a complete picture of each place. So, if you need much clearer picture and a full description of sites please head on to the attached URL.
Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
This tour revolves around cultural sites and includes many historical places to see in Sri Lanka in 5 days. It covers many important tourist attractions such as Sigiriya rock fortress, Dambulla cave temple, Polonnaruwa ancient city and Kandy tooth relic temple, all these places are located within the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka.
The tour also includes white water rafting and jeep safari in Minneriya national park as optional activities. This is a Sri Lanka itinerary expand 5 days, which begin in Colombo. Even though the tour starts in Colombo it does not include a Colombo city tour and shopping, however, Kandy sightseeing tour with shopping is covered in the program.
Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days in a nutshell
- Day 1 – Colombo/Sigiriya
- Day 2 – Sigiriya/Polonnaruwa
- Day 3 – Sigiriya / Kandy
- Day 4 – Kandy / Nuwara Eliya
- Day 5 – Nuwara Eliya / Colombo
Culture cocktail tour and places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days
- elephant orphanage Pinnawala
- Sigiriya rock fortress
- Dambulla golden cave temple
- Minneriyan national park
- Tooth relic temple
- Royal botanical garden
- Kandyan cultural show
- Tea garden
- Tea factory
- Seeth Temple
- Gregory Lake
Map of culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
Day 1 of culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Colombo/Sigiriya
99 per cent of travellers touch the island in Colombo because the main international airport of Sri Lanka is located in Colombo. Even you travel to Sri Lanka in a cruise ship you will be landing in Colombo because 99 per cent of cruise ships are docked in the international harbour of Colombo. Since you have only 5 days at your disposal, I don’t recommend a Colombo city tour.
Is it worth visiting Colombo?
Colombo is a not an extravagant tourist attraction I feel it is wasting time to have a Colombo city tour on your Sri Lanka 5 day tour. If you need to see the city badly you can make time for a Colombo city tour on the last day of the tour, and you can have a half-day city tour. Half-day tour in the city is more than enough to explore Colombo. Further reading on Sigiriya
Supposedly you drive to Sigiriya right after your flight, it will take about 4 hours to reach the hotel in Sigiriya, of course, a small break is also included in today’s program. The distance to cover around 175 km, however, it takes around 4 hours on the journey, Perhaps you can drive 200 km in 2 hours in your country but in Sri Lankan case it takes bit more time than in your country.
Duration of the drive is also highly unpredictable due to the heavy traffic in cities. But according to my experience, you can reach Sigiriya from Colombo in 4 hours time (without stops). If you land early morning (around 4.00 am) in Sri Lanka you will be able to reach Sigiriya in 3 hours time. However, there will be a processing time required for formalities at the arrival lounge and it can be 30 minutes to more than an hour.
Pinnawala elephant orphanage
Colombo is a coastal city near the beach and you will drive to the interior of Sri Lanka from here. The drive on the countryside road is very picturesque and you will encounter patches of forests, coconut plantations, rubber plantations and isolated villages frequent intervals. Pinnawala elephant orphanage is the first stop of the day; however, you make a stop any time before that if you need a small break. Usually, most travellers opt to take a break in Kajugama (before Pinnawala elephant orphanage) and drink a Tea/Coffee. Read more on pinnawala elephant orphanage
Dambulla cave temple
The next stop on the 5 days Sri Lanka itinerary is Dambulla cave temple, which is a UNESCO world heritage site and a main tourist attraction in the island. The distance between the 2 places id 98 km and it takes around 2 hours to reach Dambulla from Pinnawala. Further reading on Dambulla cave temple
After Dambulla golden cave temple it takes aroudn30 minutes to reach the hotels in Sigiriya and Habarana.
Day 2 of culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Sigiriya/Polonnaruwa
On day 2 you are going further deep into the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka and visit the most popular iconic cultural and historical monument of Sri Lanka, Sigiriya rock fortress. Later in the day, you visit end most ancient capital of Sri Lanka known as Polonnaruwa. You will not be travelling as much as you did on the previous day; however, there will be around 2 hours drive. Further reading on Polonnaruwa
You will be able to find time for a jeep safari in Minneriya on day 2, usually, it takes around 2 hours for the Sigiriya hike and the visit to the Polonnaruwa historical city lasts around 3 hours. Village tour with cooking, bird watching in Sigiriya is also optional activities that can be booked in Sigiriya; however, you have to arrange the time required for optional activities by adjusting the main ingredients of the itinerary.
Day 3 of Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Sigiriya, Kandy
Today you will drive to Kandy, which is the heart of Sri Lankan culture and home to a large number of temple, gardens, museums, nature reserves and museums. However, you do not have much time in Kandy on this Sri Lanka 5 day tour. So, plan your trip with tooth relic temple, royal botanical gardens and Kandyan cultural show. You may also be able to time for some shopping if you need, as you visit those attractions. Further reading on Kandy
Day 4 of Culture cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Kandy, Nuwara Eliya
You are travelling to Sri Lanka’s tea country in the day of Sri Lanka 5 day tour. Nuwara Eliya sits 1800 meters above sea-level and home to many dozens of cascading waterfalls, rivers, lakes, patches of forests and many other natural attractions. You will be enjoying the overwhelming natural beauty for the entire day and make the overnight stay in Nuwara Eliya. Unlike other places you visited so far it can be really cool here, sometimes the temperature dips down to minus degrees after the sunset. Further reading on Nuwara Eliya
Day 5 of culture cocktail tour 5 days -Nuwara Eliya / Colombo
You will be travelling to Colombo from Nuwara Eliya today and the journey will last around 5 hours. You will be visiting 2 picturesque waterfalls today. Most importantly you have the opportunity to do water rafting as you come across Kitulgala today. As I told you if you need to visit important places in Colombo you can find time for it by leaving the hotel in Nuwara Eliya a little bit early.
Nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days in a nutshell
- Day 1 – Colombo/Sinharaja / Galle / Mirissa
- Day 2 – Mirissa/Yala
- Day 3 – Yala / Nuwara Eliya
- Day 4 – Nuwara Eliya / Kitulgala
- Day 5 – Kitulgala / Colombo
11 Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days nature tour
- Sinharaja rainforest
- Madu river estuary
- Moonstone mines
- Sea turtle conservation project
- Galle fortress
- Whale watching Mirissa
- Yala wildlife reserve
- Seetha temple
- Tea factory
As most Sri Lank trip packages, this 5 days Sri Lanka itinerary starts in Colombo and ends in Colombo. As the name suggests the tour mainly revolve around ecological tourist attractions. The tour includes whale watching in Mirissa, Full day Safari at Yala national park, trekking in Sinharaja rain forest, boat tour at Madu river estuary, Horton plains national park. The tour also includes Galle Fort as well as Ceylon tea trail.
The initial part of the trip takes place along the southern and the western coast of the island you will visit many tourist attractions in the region. After visiting Yala national in southern Sri Lanka you drive to the mountains of Sri Lanka, where you encounter Horton plains national park.
Map of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days
Day 1 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days -Colombo, Sinharaja, Galle
You will be travelling to Sinharaja via Kalutara from Colombo. The journey will take place along the western border of the island along beaches, and the sea view is dominating throughout the trip. The first stop on the trip is at Madu river estuary. The journey from Colombo to Madu river estuary lasts about 2 hours and then you explore the Madu river estuary in a motorboat. Further reading on Sinharaja
Madu river estuary
Madu river estuary is an important ecological habitat and it is a Ramsar wetland. The Madu riverboat tour enables you to see one of the last remaining mangrove forests in the island. Here you have the opportunity to see a large number of avian fauna species and many animal species such as water monitor, monkey, and dome times crocodile. You will be also visiting the cinnamon island, a small island with cinnamon plantations; here you learn the secrets of cinnamon pealing, economical usage of it. Further reading on Madu river
Sea turtle conservation project- one of the best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days
Sri Lank is home to 5 species of endangered sea turtles and the beach along the west and southern Sri Lanka is frequented by sea turtles. Few sea turtle conservation projects are to be found along with the western and southern Sri Lanka. These sea turtle conservation projects believe to be helping to increase the sea turtle population in these off Sri Lanka, same times these conservation projects educate the people about sea turtles. Here you can witness 5 different species of endangered sea turtles.
Later on the day, you will be heading to Sinharaja rainforest and in the afternoon start the rainforest trek that lasts about 3 hours.
The Sinharaja rainforest is one of the most valuable rainforests in the world and which is a coming under the category of primaeval rain forests. Here you can witness many species trees plants, bids and insect species.
Galle is the capital of southern Sri Lanka and one of the tourist hotspots in the island. Galle is most popular for its Galle Fort, which is a UNESCO world heritage site Galle city and the Indian Ocean. Galle Fort is the best preserved Dutch built colonial city in Asia and dates back to 16s. Earlier it was occupied by wealthy Dutch businessmen, Dutch colonial rulers and their soldiers. Venturing on a Galle city tour is the best way to explore this fascinating colonial city.
Today the Fort is occupied by travellers that are heading to Galle from all around the world. The luxury mansions are converted to hotels, cafes, museums, restaurants and shops. Take your time make a stroll on narrow cobbled streets and enjoy the fascinating old Dutch styled mansions with big verandahs, doors and windows, they also do have very steep roofs, which are totally different from the native architecture.
ou will pass many beautiful palm-fringed beaches in the way and ask your guide to make a stop to make a few beautiful pictures of the beaches. Perhaps you can stop in Hikkaduwa to see the beautiful sandy beaches and also Hikkaduwa is a place to sample fresh delicious Sri Lankan seafood. Today you continue to Mirissa all the way along the beaches. Beaches of Mirissa are very popular places for saltwater activities such as swimming, snorkelling, diving, surfing etc. Further reading on Galle
Day 2 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days–Mirissa, Yala
Early morning leave for a whale watching tour off Mirissa harbour and later continue the journey to Yala wildlife reserve. The whale watching trip is a real highlight for many travellers and a large number of travellers take part in this whale watching trip.
On day two of this Sri Lanka 5 day tour, you will still be travelling along the southern coast of Sri Lanka and you will reach your hotel in Tissamaharama late evening. Further reading on Mirissa
Day 3 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Mirissa, Yala
You will start the day three of Sri Lanka 5 day tour (nature cocktail tour) with a jeep safari at Yala national park. The chances of spotting animals are high in the early morning, especially leopards. After the safari, you will be heading to Nuwara Eliya and en-route visit waterfalls and tea plantations and tea factory. Few temple visits are also in the program; however, you can omit them if you wish. Further reading on Yala
Day 4 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Nuwara Eliya, Kitulgala
Day 4 of Sri Lanka 5 day tour (nature cocktail tour) you will be heading to Horton plains national park with packed breakfast and make a 2 hours trek through the breathtaking cloud forest. This is a natural jewel of Sri Lanka one of the last remaining cloud forests in the island. The forest has unique in many ways. Here you see a different kind of trees and plans that you cannot see elsewhere in Sri Lanka; the vegetation is adapted to withstand the cool climate and unceasing wind. Further reading on Kitulgala
Day 5 of nature cocktail tour Sri Lanka 5 days -Kitulgala, Colombo
Kitulgala very popular among the adventure enthusiast and it offers many adrenaline-pumping activities such as whitewater rafting, kayaking, mountain climbing, waterfall abseiling, mountain biking. Kitulgala is also a laid-back village with an extensive green cover, here you will be doing a rainforest trek in the morning. Afternoon heading to Colombo and the drive take around 2 hours. Further reading on Colombo
Adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days in a nutshell
- Day 1 – Colombo/Kitulgala
- Day 2 – Kitulgala / Adam’s peak
- Day 3 – Adam’s peak / Udawalawe
- Day 4 – Udawalawe / Mirissa
- Day 5 – Mirissa / Colombo
Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days on the adventure tour
- Adam’s peak
- Udawalawe national park
- Galle Fort
- Madu river estuary
- Sea turtle conservation project
Sri Lanka is a leading beach holiday destination in the world, maybe because Sri Lanka is an island. Still, a large number of travellers plan beach holidays without knowing the existence of other interesting places such as wildlife reserves and adventure sites. Therefore only a few travellers ask for adventure tours in Sri Lanka.
Map of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days
Day 1 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Colombo, Kitulgala
On the first day of this Sri Lanka 5 day tour, you will be heading to Kitulgala, in view of giving your tour a flying start. The distance from Colombo to Kitulgala is 100 km and it takes around two hours to reach the Kitulgala water sports centre. You will be escorted to the adventure sports centre by your driver. There will be three activities planned for today white water rafting, Kayaking and rain forest trekking.
Day 2 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Kitulgala, Adam’s peak
After the breakfast leave for Adam’s peak and take a rest in your hotel. You will take the most magnitude hike in the island that lasts 5 hours (only the upward journey), many people undertake this venture due to the religious reasons but for tourist, this is the wonderful place to experience rich natural wealth with a twist of adventure.
If the best walks are the oldest – the pilgrim trails and the ancient ways – then the most delightful of all is the drovers’ paths, their contours forgiving, their prospects timeless. This 5 days Sri Lanka trip includes the hike of Adams peak, along with the ancient track believed to be existing for many thousands of years.
Adams’ peak is the 3rd highest mountain in the island (2300 meter above sea-level). The hike starts with the fall of the night and you will be at the summit before the sun-rise, means you are here to witness the sunrise. Adam’s peak considered being one of the best places to see the sunrise. You will finish the hike in the morning and make a small rest and the breakfast at your hotel in Adam’s peak. Further reading on Adam’s peak
Day 3 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days- Adams peak, Udawalawe national park
After the hike head to Udawalawe national park and take a rest in the hotels that sits near the national park. In the afternoon make a jeep safari at Udawalawe national park to see wild animals such as elephants, crocodile, jackal, monkey, buffalo etc.
Day 4 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Udawalawe national park, Mirissa
On the 4th day of the 5 days Sri Lanka adventure tour, you will be heading to Mirissa, in the afternoon leisure in the beach resort. Further reading on Udawalawe safari
Day 5 of adventure tour Sri Lanka 5 days-Mirissa, Colombo
Early morning leave for a whale watching trip off the southern coast and later leave for Galle, en-route visit Galle fortress and sea turtle conservation centre and make a boat tour at Madu river estuary.