Sri Lanka is a popular holiday destination in Asia and receives a large number of foreign travelers every year. As a local tour operator, Seerendipity tours receive a large number of bookings for Sri Lanka trip packages. A large number of such bookings are for short trips such as 3-day trips in Sri Lanka and at the same time, we get many inquiries for Sri Lanka 3 day tours. I thought of crafting this article under the heading “Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days” due to ever-increasing inquiries for Sri Lanka 3 days packages. This article would help immensely for travelers, who are looking for information on a Sri Lanka 3 days package.
Table of Contents
- 15 Best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days
- What are the 15 best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days?
- Few useful links
- Choosing places for 3 day Sri Lanka trip
- What are the best travel routes for Sri Lanka 3 days tours?
- 1: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route to the cultural triangle- Colombo, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Dambulla, Kandy
- 2: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route to the mountains-Colombo, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Kitulgala
- 3: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route to the south -Colombo, Galle, Mirissa, Yala, Udawalawe, Ratnapura
- 4: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route with a twist of adventure -Colombo, Kitulagla, Ella, Udawalawe, Galle
- Traveling on Sri Lanka 3 days tour
- How to choose the best travel route for your Sri Lanka 3 days trip
- Where does the 3 days Sri Lanka tour start?
- Sri Lanka 3 days package: for whom is it suitable?
- 1 day trip Vs 3 days trip
- What are the activities available on Sri Lanka 3 days package?
- 3 days Sri Lanka beach holiday
- How to choose the best 2-day trips in Sri Lanka?
- 4 popular 3-days Sri Lanka tours
- 5 alternative places for three-day trips in Sri Lanka
- Places to visit on three-day trips in Sri Lanka
- 1. Anuradhapura ancient city distance of 200 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
- 2. Bentota beach-distance 100 km from Colombo and 2+ hours drive from Colombo
- 3. Sigiriya Rock fortress-distance 170 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
- 4. Dambulla cave temple-distance 160 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
- 5. Minneriya National Park-distance 171 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
- 6. Kandy-117 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
- 7. Yala national park-166 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
- 8. Nuwara Eliya-126 km from Colombo and 4+ hours drive from Colombo
- 9. Polonnaruwa-230 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
- 10. Galle tour-120 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
- 11. Mirissa-152 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
- 12. Udawalawe national park-152 km from Colombo and 4+ hours drive from Colombo
- 13. Adam’s peak-137 km from Colombo and 4+ hours drive from Colombo
- 14. Kitulgala-90 km from Colombo and 2+ hours drive from Colombo
- 15. Sinharaja rainforest-138 km from Colombo and 3+hours drive from Colombo
- Why you should book Sri Lanka 3 days trip with Seerendipity tour
15 Best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days
The number of places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days is many dozens. But in order to make it easy to choose the places to visit on a 3 day trip in Sri Lanka, we have carefully filtered the below-mentioned 15 places and discussed these 15 places in this article.
The 15 places mentioned in this article are important tourist attractions and they are coming under historical monuments, natural attractions, and adventure places while some of them are man-made tourist attractions. Below mentioned Sri Lanka 3 day tour itineraries are planned exclusively to visit the “15 Best Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days“.
I had wanted to write this blog post on “15 Best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days” for many weeks. Because we receive a large number of emails from travelers around the world with questions like “What is the best 3 day trip in Sri Lanka?” and “What is the best Sri Lanka 3 days package?”. A large number of readers are inquiring about Sri Lanka 3 days tours, that’s why I have decided to write this article about 3 day trip to Sri Lanka and places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days.
Perhaps you are also looking for a 3-day tour in Sri Lanka, in order to go on your kind of trip, during the upcoming school holidays. Perhaps you are a tourist from a foreign country, spend time in a beach resort, and now intend to explore a bit of Sri Lanka’s nature, wildlife, and culture on a 3 day trip in Sri Lanka. Maybe you are in transit and need to use your time carefully to explore a bit of the island. Whatever your requirement this article suggests 4 interesting Sri Lanka 3 days packages, allowing you to see many important tourist attractions.
“What are the places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days ?“, “What are the popular 3-day tours in Sri Lanka ?”, “What are the best Sri Lanka 3 days tours ?” these are some of the popular questions that we receive every day. Many travelers, who visit Sri Lanka want us to suggest a good Sri Lanka 3 days package for them.
We also have noted that the “Sri Lanka 3 days package” is a very popular key phrase on google and other search engines. With the increasing number of travelers on the island over the last few years, the booking for Sri Lanka 3 days tours are also considerably increased. And the number of email inquiries for 3 days Sri Lanka trips is also increasing.
This is a quite long blog post, it took 2 days for me to write and it will take around 15 minutes for you to read. However, I have piled up as much information as possible in this article, and thereby hope it is going to help travelers to choose the best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days.
What are the 15 best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days?
- Anuradhapura-200 km from Colombo-6+ hours drive
- Bentota Beach- 101 km from Colombo-2+ hours drive
- Dambulla- 160 km from Colombo-5+ hours drive
- Sigiriya- 177 km from Colombo-5+ hours drive
- Kandy-117 km from Colombo-4+ hours drive
- Minneriya national park– 177 km from Colombo-5+ hours drive
- Yala national park-166 km from Colombo-5+ hours drive
- Nuwara Eliya-126 km from Colombo-4+ hours drive
- Polonnaruwa-230 km from Colombo-5+ hours drive
- Galle-120 km from Colombo-4+ hours drive
- Mirissa-152 km from Colombo-4+ hours drive
- Udawalawe national park-150 km from Colombo-4+ hours drive
- Adam’s peak-137 km from Colombo-5+ hours drive
- Kitulgala-90 km from Colombo-3+ hour drive
- Sinharaja rainforest-138 km from Colombo-3+ hour drive
Choosing places for 3 day Sri Lanka trip
With 3 days at your disposal, you will only have the opportunity to scratch a popular travel route in Sri Lanka. Travel routes that we list in this article include many important tourist attractions as well as interesting activities for tourists. However, we are talking about the most interesting things that you can do on a 3 day trip in Sri Lanka, it means that there can be other important tourist places on these routes that we neglect due to time constraints, we do not concentrate on them due to the time constraints.
Eeventhogu you have 3 days for the trip, you have to allocate time for 2 overnight stays and the time required for traveling. Therefore, the time left for sightseeing is much much lesser than you imagine. That’s why careful planning is essential to get the most out of your 3 day trip to Sri Lanka.
We discuss 3 travel routes and 3 Sri Lanka 3 days tours, they are carefully crafted giving you the best opportunity to visit many tourist attractions listed under the “15 Best Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days”.
What are the best travel routes for Sri Lanka 3 days tours?
Each of these travel routes includes many places mentioned under the “15 best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days”. You will be able to visit many interesting places on these 4 travel routes. Same time there are a few other lesser important places to visit on these routes, however, if time permits you to do it.
1: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route to the cultural triangle- Colombo, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigiriya, Dambulla, Kandy
3 Days cultural triangle tour starts in Colombo and covers all major cities in the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka. The cultural triangle 3 days tour not only includes cultural places but also national parks and botanical gardens and the beautiful hill country of Sri Lanka.
3 days Sri Lanka’s travel route to the cultural triangle includes the most number of cultural sites and UNESCO world heritage sites of Sri Lanka. This travel route is recommended for travelers, who are interested in culture, religion, and history.
The Sri Lanka 3 days tours on this route enable you to visit the most historical city of Sri Lanka “Anuradhapura” as well as the last capital of the Sri Lankan monarchy “Kandy”. Other interesting places to visit in Sri Lanka on 3 days trip are the Sigiriya rock fortress, Mineriya national park, Kandy, and Dambulla cave temple.
2: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route to the mountains-Colombo, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Kitulgala
3 days Sri Lanka travel route to the mountains contains many interesting places such as an elephant orphanage, a tooth relic temple, and Peradeniya botanical gardens.
It also includes Kitulgala, better known as the adventure playground of Sri Lanka, allowing you to engage in adrenaline-pumping activities such as water rafting, hiking, and trekking. This is the most scenic travel route according to our past customers.
The tourist can visit scenic mountains, beautiful tea gardens, cascading waterfalls, lakes, rivers, and patches of forests in this 3 day Sri Lanka trip.
3: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route to the south -Colombo, Galle, Mirissa, Yala, Udawalawe, Ratnapura
On Sri Lanka 3 days package to the south coast of Sri Lanka, you will be able to visit 5 important tourist attractions, namely Galle fort, Bentota beach, Mirissa, Yala national park, and Udawalawe national park. This Sri Lanka 3 days package can be best describes as a wildlife exploration tour.
This Sri Lanka 3 days package gives you the opportunity to engage in 2 wildlife safaris and a whale-watching boat trip. This Sri Lanka 3 days package also includes a sea turtle conservation project, where you can witness many species of endangered sea turtles.
4: Sri Lanka 3 days travel route with a twist of adventure -Colombo, Kitulagla, Ella, Udawalawe, Galle
This travel route is the best option among all the travel routes mentioned in this article for adventure junkies. This 3 day Sri Lanka tour includes activities such as rainforest trek, bird watching, whitewater rafting, mountain climbing, and safari. Places to visit on this 3 days travel route are Kitulagla, Horton plains national park, Nuwara Eliya, Ella, Udawalawe National Park, Galle fort and Bentota beach.
Traveling on Sri Lanka 3 days tour
Even though on Sri Lanka 3 days tours you spend far less time in the vehicle compared to the one-day tours, you will be traveling around 150 km a day on average. It means you spend around 2-3 hours traveling every day. Generally, public transport is not a viable option for Sri Lanka 3 days tours, because you need to complete the tour within 3 days (inclusive sightseeing tours).
It is possible to visit many interesting places on a Sri Lanka 3 days tour, however, do not pack your trip with all the possible things that your encounter on the way, and keep some room to relax and leisure. In fact, you need a bit of time to explore the places you visit and you also need time to travel between tourist attractions.
In this article, we indicated the estimated time to travel between cities because it is a daunting task to give you the exact time to drive between cities. With chaotic traffic, it is always a daunting task to indicate the exact time to travel between cities in Sri Lanka. If you pack your Sri Lanka 3 days tour with activities and places to visit, invariably you are limiting the time you can spend on your stops, making an unnecessary rush.
It is necessary to have your own vehicle or a taxi to travel on these trips. Having private transport is the key to the success of all these Sri Lanka 3 days tours. If you opt to use public transport such as train and bus, you may not be able to do the tour as planned, because these private transports suck your time.
This article is mainly written on the 15 Best Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days, however, we are not going to limit it to those 15 places. We are hoping to make a full picture of Sri Lanka 3 days tour route that we indicated at the start of the article. You will also get information about other minor tourist attractions, places to eat, and places to stay.
How to choose the best travel route for your Sri Lanka 3 days trip
All the three-day trip places in Sri Lanka, including in this article, give you the opportunity to engage in various interesting activities. We discuss 15 places and 3 travel routes to include in a Sri Lanka 3 days tour, but you cannot include all places in one trip. Therefore, tourists have to choose the best travel route based on their interests.
Each travel route comes with a set of interesting places. E.g Sri Lanka 3 days travel route with a twist of adventure includes many adventure activities but it does not include temples or cultural sites. On the other hand, 3 days trip to the cultural triangle includes temples, and historical monuments such as Sigiriya, and Dambulla but no adventure activities. Choose the best travel route for your 3 days trip to Sri Lanka, thereby you to engage in the activities you most like and enjoy the trip.
Where does the 3 days Sri Lanka tour start?
The 15 Best Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days, coming in this article can be easily reached from Colombo or any other beach resorts on the west and south coast. Most of the places also can be visited on a day tour from Colombo, but you have to limit the trip to one or two places.
Tourists can join the trips to Colombo airport or from the port, therefore, travelers can start the tours right after landing in Sri Lanka. However, all three 3 day tour packages mentioned in this article start not only in Colombo but also in beach resorts. These tours start from 140+ beach hotels on the west and southern coast of Sri Lanka. If you wish to take one of these 3 days’ Sri Lanka tours, please get in touch with the local tour operator Seerendipity tours.
Seerendipity tours are the sole organizer of all these 3 days’ Sri Lanka tours. All trips are private programs. When you book tours directly with seerendipity tours, you can avoid the heavy commissions charged by the 3rd parties and online booking portals.
Sri Lanka 3 days package: for whom is it suitable?
We usually do not get bookings for these 3 days tours from guests staying in beach resorts. Instead of 3-day trips they mostly book Sri Lanka 1 day tours because they like to return to the beach resort on the same day for the overnight stay. Usually, most tourists, who book these 3-day tours are from Colombo or from the airport. And they do the 3 days tours before heading to the beach resort, thereby their beach holidays will not be interrupted.
1 day trip Vs 3 days trip
Perhaps you might be considering doing a few 1-day trips instead of 1 Sri Lanka 3 days package. But, there are many benefits in engaging in a three-day trip against a few one-day trips, check the below table.
|One 3 days tour||Few 1-day tours|
|Spend less time traveling|| Spend more time traveling, |
travel as twice as the 3-day trip
|More time for sightseeing||Less time for sightseeing|
|Opportunity to have leisure||No time for leisure|
| Time to visit places not mentioned |
in the itinerary
|No extra activities due to |
the time constraints
| Can drive to tourist attractions far |
away from the resort
|Cannot visit places far away from|
the resort due to the time
taken on travelling
| 2 overnight stays in the places|
you head on to
|No overnight stay|
What are the activities available on Sri Lanka 3 days package?
Usually, most Sri Lanka 3 days packages include all interesting activities like most other multiday Sri Lanka tour packages, and the 4 Sri Lanka 3-day tours mentioned in this article include,
- Visiting temples
- Visiting historical monuments
- Visiting forts
- Visiting beaches
- Sri Lanka jungle tour/Safari
- City tours/shopping
- Engage in adventure activities such as whitewater rafting
- Rainforest explorations
3 days Sri Lanka beach holiday
Lying on the palm-fringed pristine beaches, doing nothing, and occasionally sipping an arrack cocktail while chewing fresh Sri Lankan seafood in a luxury beach resort also sounds goooooood I think!
Being an island Sri Lanka is surrounded by the Indian Ocean. The island is a popular beach holiday destination in the region and attracts a large number of sun worshippers every year. There are many thousands of beach resorts along the coastal belt of Sri Lanka and most of them are located on the western and southern coasts. If you are not in the mood to travel and like to have leisure, then 3 day Sri Lanka beach tour is the best option for you.
Many beach resorts have an interesting offer for short vacationers. Most beach resorts offer interesting activities such as Ayurveda treatments, boat tours, snorkeling, watersports, animations and many other activities for their in-house guests.
If you like to know about the current beach holiday offers please write to email@example.com
So, have your baggage ready, and set off on a 3 day trip to Sri Lanka to treat yourself and enjoy life at your best. Seerendipity tours have dozens of pr-planned Sri Lanka 3 days tour packages, browse our tour packages and check if we already have the 3-days Sri Lanka tour you look for. You can ask Seerendipity tours staff to make a customized package for you, our staff will do it for you without any charge, whether you book the tour with us or somewhere else.
How to choose the best 2-day trips in Sri Lanka?
2-day trips in Sri Lanka are available in many flavors and choosing the most suitable package is up to you. 2-day trips in Sri Lanka can be broadly categorized into 2 day leisure holidays (beach holidays), 2-day adventure tour packages, 2-day wildlife tour packages, 2-day cultural triangle tours, 2 days southern Sri Lanka trips, and 2-day tour packages to Sri Lanka upcountry.
4 popular 3-days Sri Lanka tours
- Sri Lanka 3 days cultural triangle tour- historical places, culture, elephant, shopping, city life.
- Sri Lanka 3 days upcountry tour- historical places, culture, elephants, tea gardens, waterfalls, rivers, and lakes.
- Sri Lanka 3 days southern Sri Lanka tour- Historical monuments, wildlife reserves, beaches, turtle conservation projects, and whale watching.
- Sri Lanka 3 days beach holiday – leisure with optional activities such as Ayurveda massage, and watersports.
5 alternative places for three-day trips in Sri Lanka
- Ella – Ella is a laid-back small village with a healing climate in the Sri Lankan mountains. Ella attracts a large number of travelers every year and is considered one of the most scenic tourist destinations on the island.
- Adam’s peak– travelers can easily integrate the Adams peak hike into 3 day Sri Lanka southern trip. Adams peak is the 5th highest mountain on the island and it is one of the most popular pilgrimage sites in the country. A large number of devotees of Buddhists make the 5 hours of moonlight hike in Adams peak in order to worship the footprint of Buddha.
- Trincomalee- Trincomalee is the capital on the east coast and is predominantly a Hindu city. Trincomalee offers a few places such as Nilaveli and pigeon island for a memorable time with sun, sea, and sand.
- Eco-park Sigiriya-another popular wildlife reserve in the north-central province, which offers the opportunity to spot large herds of wild elephants.
- Sinharaja Rain forest-this Gondwana forest is one of the oldest patches of rainforests in the world dating back to the Gondwana land era. Singaraja rainforest is considered a super biodiversity hotspot, as it is inhabited by a large number of Fauna and Flora. Sinharaja trip can be easily integrated with 3 days trip to Southern Sri Lanka.
Places to visit on three-day trips in Sri Lanka
As I have written in the early part of the article, the number of places to visit on a 3 days trip is endless, but we have carefully filtered 15 places. I followed a criterion, it should mainly provide the value of time that you put into it and it should provide a memorable, thrilling experience.
The 15 places listed in this blog post cover crumbling historical monuments in the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka, scenic mountains with tea gardens and cascading waterfalls, the gloomy rainforest, and idyllic beach resorts on the western and southern coast, plan your Sri Lanka 3 days day trips from Colombo/airport to relax, look for activities and be blessed by the divine.
1. Anuradhapura ancient city distance of 200 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
Anuradhapura is the first stop on the 3 day Sri Lanka tour to the cultural triangle. Anuradhapura is the most historical city in Sri Lanka and is part of most Sri Lankan cultural tours. The historical city of Anuradhapura hides many thousands of crumbling monuments dating back to the 3rd century BC. the city tour of Anuradhapura lasts about 3 hours and it includes visits to ancient Buddghots temples, palaces, lakes, gardens, and many other ancient structures.
Important things to do in Anuradhapura
- Visiting Srimaha bodhi
- A visit to the historical museum
- Visiting Ruwanweli dagoba and Thuparama dagoba
- Visiting Jetawanarama temple complex
- Visiting twin ponds
2. Bentota beach-distance 100 km from Colombo and 2+ hours drive from Colombo
By far Bentota beach is the most popular beach resort in Sri Lanka, it is also known as the golden mile on the west coast. Bentota beach resort serves many thousands of beach holiday lovers every month, especially during the peak holiday season starting from November to April every year. Bentota is not only popular for multi-day Sri Lanka beach tours but also for Sri Lanka day outings. The unique location of Bentota makes it very suitable for beach holidays.
Bentota beach is flanked by the Bentota river on one side while it is the Indian Ocean on the other side. A large number of luxury beach resorts are concentrated on Bentota beach and therefore it is most suitable for luxury beach holiday seekers.
Things to do in Bentota
- Water sports
- Snorkeling and diving
- Beach hopping
- City tours
- Village tours
3. Sigiriya Rock fortress-distance 170 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
Sigiriya is one of the key attractions of Sri Lanka 3 days tour of the cultural triangle. Sigiriya is located at the center of the cultural triangle and provides easy access to all tourist hot spots in the cultural triangle. There 2 overnight stays during the 3 days cultural triangle tour and guests stay in Sigiriya for 1 night and visit Sigiriya rock, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, and Dambulla cave temple from Sigiriya rock. Sigiriya lion rock is the major attraction in Sigiriya and this iconic tourist attraction is a UNESCO world heritage site.
Things to do in Sigiriya
- Climb the Sigiriya rock
- Visiting Sigiriya cultural museum
- Visiting Pidurangala Buddhist temple
- Sigiriya village tour with cooking class
- Elephant ride
- Safari at Sigiriya wildlife reserve
- Bird watching
4. Dambulla cave temple-distance 160 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
Dambulla golden cave temple better known as “Rangiri Dambulla” is a UNESCO world heritage site. The temple is one of the oldest temples in the world, which dates back to the 1st century BC. Dambulla golden cave temple is consisting of 5 spacious natural caves. These 5 natural caves hide more than 150 Buddha statues, god figures and statues, and a few other figures. The inner wall of the caves is elaborately decorated with colorful paintings. These paintings are depicting various sceneries from the life of Buddha.
5. Minneriya National Park-distance 171 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
Sri Lanka is one of the best places in the world for elephant safari, it is mainly due to the large concentration of wild elephants. According to the elephant survey, the island is inhabited by more than 5000 wild elephants. Compared to the size of the island it is a very high number and most of the elephants are concentrated in the wildlife reserves.
Minneriya national park is tucked away from Colombo in the north-central province of Sri Lanka. Minneriya is one of the most popular national parks on the island and is visited by a large number of travelers heading to the cultural triangle of Sri Lanka.
Minneriya national park is included in the 3 days Sri Lanka trip from Colombo. Tourists are visiting the Minneriya national park from their hotel in Sigiriya on the 2nd day of the trip.
6. Kandy-117 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
Kandy is the last kingdom of the Sri Lankan monarchy until it was ceded to the British crown in 1948. However Kandy had been an important city on the island despite the change of power, it is mainly due to the tooth relic temple. Tooth relic temple is the iconic tourist attraction in Kandy and it is also a UNESCO world heritage site. The tooth relic temple is considered the most sacred Buddhist temple on the island and is visited by thousands of tourists every day.
Kandy is surrounded by many important tourist attractions such as the Pinnawala elephant orphanage, tea plantations, the Royal botanical garden, and Udawattekele sanctuary.
The tooth relic temple is included in both the upcountry 3 day trip in Sri Lanka and 3 day trip in Sri Lanka to the Cultural triangle.
Other important things to do in Kandy
- Visiting the world Buddhist Museum-Situated right behind the tooth relic temple and harbors a large number of exhibits from Buddhist countries around the world.
- Tea factory/tea center-a few kilometers towards Nuwara Eliya from Kandy; travelers start to see green-capped mountains and large-scale tea plantations in between them. Some of these tea plantations allow visitors to visit their tea factories and witness the production of CEYLON tea.
- Embekke Devala-A little bit off the track tourist site and travelers need to travel about 30 minutes from Kandy to reach the temple. Well worth visiting this ancient temple as equipped with some of the finest wood carvings in Sri Lanka. The temple is built on wooden columns.
- Gadaladeniya temple– Another important temple with rich historical background, dating back to the 18th century AD.
- Udawattekele sanctuary-Located right behind the tooth relic temple, this green patch is home to a large number of avian fauna a species.
- War cemetery– built during the British rule in Sri Lanka, travelers can witness a large number of gravestones, where the Brutish soldiers were buried, who were killed in world war II.
- Kandyan cultural show– The travelers have the opportunity to witness a traditional dance and music performance.
- Ramboda waterfall – The waterfall to be found in Ramboda on your way to Nuwara Eliya from Kandy, which is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the hills. The travelers need make around 30 minutes downhill trek to reach the waterfall.
7. Yala national park-166 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
Yala national park is one of the most popular national parks on the island and provides opportunities to see a large number of wild animals. Yala national park is one of the best places to see leopards in the world and you will never fail to spot a leopard in a full-day jeep safari at Yala national park. A safari of Yala national park is included in the 3 day southern Sri Lanka tour along with Udawalawe national park.
Other important things to do in Yala
- Visiting Kataragama temple
- Visiting Bundala national park
- Visiting Buddhist temple
8. Nuwara Eliya-126 km from Colombo and 4+ hours drive from Colombo
Nuwara Eliya sits 1800 meters above sea level and has a very cool climate throughout the year. Nuwara Eliya is the most popular holiday destination with a healing climate in Sri Lanka. The city offers many interesting activities for its visitors such as boating in Gregory lake, trekking, hiking, visiting waterfalls, bird watching in the Galway forest, horse riding, and many more.
Nuwara Eliya is one of the major tourist attractions during the 3 days of the upcountry tour. The tourists visit Nuwara Eliya on the 2nd day of the trip.
Important things to do in Nuwara Eliya
- Boating in the Gregory lake
- Horse riding
- Sip a cup of fresh tea in a factory
- Visiting Ambewela farm
- Trekking through the Horton plains national park
- Visiting strawberry farm
- Visiting Seetha temple
- trekking to the Waterfalls
- Visiting Haggala botanical garden
- Walking in the Victoria park
- Trek to the Ramboda falls
9. Polonnaruwa-230 km from Colombo and 5+ hours drive from Colombo
Polonnaruwa is a major tourist attraction on the island and is rarely missed by tourists, who are interested in Sri Lankan culture and history. This 11th-century capital harbors many dozens of historical monuments. Palaces, temples, audience halls, image houses, lakes and many other crumbling monuments can be still seen at Polonnaruwa. Polonnaruwa is included in Sri Lanka 3 days trip to the cultural triangle, the tourists visit the city on the 2nd day of the tour.
Important things to do in Polonnaruwa
- Visiting Polonnaruwa historical museum
- Visiting Polonnaruwa historical city
- Safari at Minneriya national park
- Boating in the Parakrama Samudra
- Visiting handicraft centre
10. Galle tour-120 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
It has never been so easy to reach Galle from Colombo. With the expansion Southern expressway, the traveling time from Colombo to Galle has been reduced to 2 hours from 4 hours. Galle is one of the most important tourist attractions of Sri Lanka 3 day tours to southern Sri Lanka. Galle is popular on the island for its beaches and Galle Fort. A large number of beach resorts are located just south of Galle and some of the places such as Unawatuna rank among the best beaches in the world.
A walking tour of Galle Fort is included in Sri Lanka 3 day tours. It allows the tourist to witness the grandeur of this 16th-century Dutch Fort. The labyrinthine cobbled streets are flanked by Dutch houses, palaces, museums, galleries, shops, pubs, restaurants, and hotels.
The Dutch fort was carefully laid out by the engineers and later converted into a city. The fort is surrounded by a gigantic granite wall giving the best protection against outside enemies. However Dutch forces could not withstand the firepower of the English army and the Fort was ceded to the British East India Company in 1796.
Today many thousands of travelers visit the dutch fort and some of them, anchor, here for many weeks because it has the best setting for relaxation. Dutch Fort is one of the UNESCO world heritage sites in Sri Lanka.
Important things to do in Galle
- Visiting Mask museum
- Boating in Koggala lagoon
- Visiting museums, galleries
- Swimming, diving, snorkeling
- Visiting Sea turtle conservation project
- Moonstone mines
11. Mirissa-152 km from Colombo and 3+ hours drive from Colombo
Mirissa is a popular whale-watching hot spot in the world. Unlike most other whale-watching destinations, in Mirissa tourists are able to spot whales throughout the year. The best time of the year for whale watching in Mirissa is from March to May. Mirissa includes Sri Lanka 3 day tours to the southern coast.
Mirissa is also popular among beach holiday lovers. The beaches of Mirissa are largely isolated compared to most other crowded places such as Bentota and Hikkaduwa. Swimming, diving, snorkeling, and surfing with sea turtles are some of the popular activities in Mirissa.
Important things to do in Mirissa
- Snorkeling and diving
- Fishing and swimming
- Whale watching
- Swimming with sea turtles
12. Udawalawe national park-152 km from Colombo and 4+ hours drive from Colombo
Udawalawe national park is located at the foothills of the central mountain range. Udawalawe national park is one of the most popular places for safari tours and Udawalawe safari allows you to spot a large number of wild elephants within a short period of time. Elephants, jackals, mungoes, monkeys, deer, and crocodiles are the most common animals in Udawalawe national park. Sri Lanka 3 day tours with the southern coast include Udawalawe national park as well as Yala national park.
Important things to do in Udawalawe national park
- Visiting Elephant transit camp
- Visiting Udawalawe national park
13. Adam’s peak-137 km from Colombo and 4+ hours drive from Colombo
Adams peak also known as the temple is a popular pilgrimage site for Buddhist travelers. Adams peak is mainly a tourist attraction for Sri Lankan travelers, however, there are many foreign travelers who also undertake this 5 hours of moonlight hike due to its thrilling adventurous experience. Adams peak is the 5th highest mountain on the island and the moonlight hike at Adams peak lasts around 5 hours. The Adams peak hike reaches its climax upon reaching the summit.
Watching the sunrise and enjoying spellbinding scenery are the 2 other intentions of the trip to Adams peak, along with worshipping the footprint of Buddha. Adams peak is tucked away a37 km from Colombo and it is surrounded by rainforests known as peak wilderness.
14. Kitulgala-90 km from Colombo and 2+ hours drive from Colombo
Sri Lanka 3 day tours to the mountains take you to many interesting places such as the tooth relic temple, elephant orphanage, royal botanical garden, tea gardens, and Kitulgala. This is the only 3 day Sri Lanka tour that gives you the opportunity to engage in some thrilling adventures. Mountain climbing, rainforest trek, bird-watching tours, whitewater rafting, hiking, and trekking are some of the activities available on this 3 days trip.
15. Sinharaja rainforest-138 km from Colombo and 3+hours drive from Colombo
Sinharaja rainforest is a super biodiversity hotspot, which harbors a large collection of Fauna and Flora. Sinharaja is one of the oldest patches of rainforests in the world and its origin goes back many millions of years. Sinharaja is the best rainforest on the island to see birds and it allows you to see the most number of birds in any given patch of forest on the island. A visit to the Sinharaja rainforest can be easily integrated with Sri Lanka 3 day tours to the mountains.
Seerendipity tour is a fully locally owned travel company with the head office in Colombo. The highly experienced local staff is a key strength of Seerendipity tours and they can plan your dream holiday to Sri Lanka.
When you book Sri Lanka 3 day tours with us, you directly book the tour with the local company, it means that there are no middlemen between you and the tour company, therefore, you can eliminate the commissions charged by third parties such as online booking portals.
Why you should book Sri Lanka 3 days trip with Seerendipity tour
Seerendipity tour is an entirely locally owned travel company with a head office in Colombo. The highly experienced local staff is a key strength of Seerendipity tours and they can plan your dream holiday to Sri Lanka.
Best price for your Sri Lanka vacation packages
When you book a tour with us, you directly book the tour with the local company, which means there are no middlemen and therefore you can guarantee the best price. Simply get in touch with us and let us know when you travel and what you like to see.
Plan your best Sri Lanka vacation packages with experts
Our staff makes a personalized program for you, which you can change until you find the best package for you. You can also browse our existing tour packages for inspiration; all our ready-made tour packages are customizable and can be tailored to meet all your expectations. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel 0094-77-440977, WhatsApp 0094-77-4440977
Our articles under the title “places to visit in Sri Lanka“
- 10 Best Places To Visit In Sri Lanka For Honeymoon In 2021
- 15 Best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 3 days
- 7 Places To Visit In Sri Lanka South Coast Itinerary
- 22 places to visit in Sri Lanka in 5 days
- 12 best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 2 days
- 15 Places to Visit In Sri Lanka In Two Weeks
- 18 Best places to visit in Sri Lanka in 14 days
- 10 Places To Visit In Sri Lanka Trip Itinerary
- Places To Visit In Sri Lanka In 6 Days
- 21 BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN SRI LANKA OFF THE BEATEN TRACK
- TOP 5 PLACES TO VISIT IN SRI LANKA WITHIN ONE DAY
- Places to visit in Sri Lanka in 4 days
- Places To Visit In Sri Lanka In 7 Days
- 10 Best Places to Visit in Sri Lanka Itinerary 8 Days
- What are the 20 Best Places to visit in Sri Lanka in December?
- What are the 6 best places to visit on a 5-day trip to Sri Lanka?
- 7 PLACES TO VISIT ON SRI LANKA HERITAGE TOURS
- 10 Places To Visit In 9 Days In Sri Lanka Car Tours
- 8 Days In Sri Lanka And 15 Best Places To Visit
- SIGIRIYA ROCK FORTRESS SRI LANKA AND PLACES TO VISIT IN SIGIRIYA
- What are the top 11 places to visit in Mirissa Sri Lanka?
- 17 Best Places To Visit On Sri Lanka Hill Country Tours
- What are the 10 best places to visit on the Kandy tea plantation tour?
Please hit the below buttons and share the post on social media if you like this post