Obtaining Sri Lanka tourist visa
It is essential to have Sri Lanka tourist visa for every foreign traveller who wishes to have a Sri Lanka tour. All foreign tourists required to have Sri Lanka tourist visa since January 2012. However several nationals are exempted from the requirement of ETA Sri Lanka (ETA stands for electronic travel authorization), names of those countries can be obtained from the Sri Lankan government official website (http://www.eta.gov.lk). The ETA Sri Lanka is issued by the Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka.
There are 6 methods for obtaining a Sri Lanka tourist visa.
|By Submitting an application|
|Through a Third party|
|Through a Registered Travel agent|
|Through a Sri Lanka Foreign Missions|
|At the Department of Immigration and Emigration Colombo|
|Upon the arrival at the port of Entry|
The ETA is categorized mainly into three categories by the Department of Immigration & Emigration
- ETA for people who visit Sri Lanka as tourists it allows double entry and valid for 30 (thirty) days
- ETA for Business purpose with multiple entries for 30 (thirty) days
- ETA for Transit for 07 (seven) days. (First 48 hours free of charge.)
Steps to be followed in order to obtain a Sri Lanka tourist visa
- Submission of the duly filled ETA application form.
- Receiving acknowledgement upon the successful submission of the application.
- Receive approval for the ETA.The immigration & emigration authorities may demand you for a copy of the ETA at the entry point of the island; therefore it is highly advisable to have a copy of the ETA at the arrival. Other than the requirement of ETA, the tourists are required to fulfil the three following requirements to enter the country.
- A valid passport for at least 6 months from the date of arrival.
- A valid return ticket.
- Enough funds to meet the expense during the stay.
The validity of the Visa
The visa is issued for only 30 days at the first step and it can be extended after entering the country. The further information regarding the ETA can be obtained from the official website of the Department of Immigration and Emigration Sri Lanka.